Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hard Disk Recovery

My little brother's hard disk decides to die unexpectedly. Initially, I thought I could bring it back to life and back up its files, but this error comes up on the Windows blue screen, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Now this is pretty weird, as the BIOS from the PC detects it as a drive but was unable to read it. So I googled on the web and found this Data Recovery Center in PJ. So I called up them, Achieva and sent my hard drive here. Hours later, they checked the hard drive and found out that the motor wasn't functioning. It costs RM1300 to retrieve the files from the drive (or RM975 after student's discount) I think its rather absurd, even for the pricing, but I guess the end question is rather, is your data worth RM1000. 4 years of artwork and sentimental is the question to the willingness of spending the money. Whats your feedback on these, readers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, my whole life is on my computer.

i'd probably still do it at twice that price.

- S22

kev said...

yeah well, just passing on this problem to tk, hopefully he has a cheaper solution than this